Saturday 7 March 2015

It's Not The Same Anymore



It's Not The Same Anymore



It once was but is no more,
You said of our beloved city

That day we spoke from afar.
I said: 'Tis a pity! 'Tis a pity!

And true; so very true.
I shall never return.

So alien and blue,
And now I learn

It resonates with neither
Me nor you.

Why did time efface and wither
London of the few

Who made it swing-a-long
To an upbeat song

As cameras clicked
And hearts ticked

So merrily; so merrily?
Fare thee well, Chelsea!

Adieu, Holloway, Highgate
Hill and Hampstead Heath!

Goodbye London Town!
Then we put the 'phone down,

And never again
Spoke about its end.


1 comment:

  1. Arrived back from France last night and almost missed my flight as I was stopped by customs who thought that I was some kind of art smuggler, as I was bringing a pair of Peggy Wickham watercolours back to Blighty.

    So it was a nice surprise to read your poem "It's Not The Same Anymore" which I enjoyed and took me back with you to the fine past we shared.

    - Tony Hill

    ReplyDelete