Wednesday 5 November 2014

Kandinsky



I was first introduced to Kandinsky
By a blonde female artist in London
(Whose name now escapes me)
Whose own art I frowned upon.

I would have been five months old
When Kandinsky died of a stroke
(At Neuilly-sur-Seine, I'm told)
And that is when I imagine folk

Spoke of him being the bloke
To paint abstractly on canvas
With a different kind of stroke
To that any single one of us

Had hitherto seen before.

He was the first and some say best;
So when in July I received a card
Bearing a Kandinsky it was hard
Not to like it more than the rest.


When that sender of the card came to see
Me another time, and we had a bite to eat,
I thought I would offer him a real treat
By taking him up to see my Kandinsky.

And so I did.

And that is when he raised the lid
With a comment I had not forseen:
"I don't like Kandinsky," he said.
"Can I show you my magic lantern instead?" I intervened.


Though I recall a time not that long ago
When viewing one of my artistic endeavours
He remarked: "Kandinsky at his maddest!"
I was duly flattered, so told him

His was the nicest review there had been,
But now I had to go
And paint another for the world to view
Before it ceased to flow.


No comments:

Post a Comment